Advanced Root Cause Analysis
Save 25% when you register three or more attendees. Team Discount cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions.
This advanced 2-day follow on course to our standard 3-day RCA course (Course 120) allows attendees to learn advanced techniques and gain additional insight from our experienced investigators. Although we cover core topics in every offering, the course content is tailored each time to address the specific needs of the participants. We solicit input from each of the participants in advance so we can address the key concerns and issues of each attendee. You will participate in additional workshops related to timelines, cause and effect trees, interviewing, physical data analysis plans, near-miss definitions and reporting, and trending. Attendees also receive an overview of how to structure an effective investigation program for their company, including how to define near misses, train others to recognize and report incidents, classify incidents for assigning the appropriate investigator(s), and trend data. You will take back to your company an example of a successful incident reporting and investigation program.
Our standard 3-day RCA course (Course 120) is a prerequisite for this course. For public courses, we offer both courses in the same week. Register for both Course 120 (standard 3-day course) and Course 122 (Advanced RCA) and save $300 by signing up for the combined course, Course 120-122.
Who Should Attend this course?
- Those who need to know the importance of near-miss investigations, incident classification, and data trending
- Those who need to be equipped to investigate serious, complex incidents
- Those who want additional workshops in areas such as causal factor charting, cause and effect trees, etc.
i learn in this course?
- Identify root causes (not just causal factors) with proven techniques
- Collect data through interviews and physical data analyses – numerous workshops are used to reinforce these topics
- Apply powerful techniques for causal factor identification, including causal factor charting,
causeand effect trees, change analysis, and timelines
- Use ABS Consulting's Root Cause Map™ to aid in root cause identification
- Avoid future incidents by developing appropriate recommendations to address causal factors and root causes
- Structure reports for optimum effectiveness
- Develop your data-trending process to identify systemic problem areas
- Receive valuable materials: The SOURCE Investigator's Toolkit to help you gather and organize your data; a Root Cause Map for your company to use; a 300-page Root Cause Analysis Handbook that includes details on the use of the Root Cause Map; and a FREE Excel® template for documenting causal factor charts and cause and effect tree
- 3.1 CEUs, 3.1 COCs, 5.01 CMs, ABIH approval #10-232
DURATION: 2 days
|Start/End Dates||Location Information||Register|
|15 Mar - 16 Mar 2018||ABS Consulting - Knoxville, TN
|14 Jun - 15 Jun 2018||ABS Consulting - Knoxville, TN
|20 Sep - 21 Sep 2018||New Orleans, LA
|08 Nov - 09 Nov 2018||ABS Consulting - Knoxville, TN
|13 Dec - 14 Dec 2018||ABS Consulting - Houston, TX
- Gathering Data (Course 106/123, Tab 3)
- Types of data: The four P's: people, physical,
- Fragility of data
- Data from people
- Interviewing techniques
- Workshop: Identifying types of interview questions
- Workshop: Developing interview questions
- Workshop: Performing Interviews – small groups
- Physical data
- Planning for analysis of physical data
- Use of physical data analysis plans
- Workshop: Developing a Physical Data Analysis Plan
- Paper data
- Sources of potential data
- Position data
- Tools for collecting position data
- Workshop: Identifying data needs
- Types of data: The four P's: people, physical,
- Selecting Problems for Analysis (Course 106/123, Tab 8)
- Acute versus chronic investigations
- Near-miss and accident investigations
- Workshop: Near-miss quiz
- Classifying incidents
- Results Trending and Assessment (Course 106/123, Tab 9)
- Deciding what data to collect
- Data analysis
- General Resources (Course 106, Tabs 11)
- SOURCE™ Toolkit – useful data collection forms
- Pocket guide to investigation
- Course study guide
- Workshop: Simulated incident investigation – start
- Workshop: Simulated incident investigation – finish
- Additional time spent on using both data analysis techniques, performing group interviews and completing the investigation
- Investigation Programs (Course 106/123, Tab 10)
- 5-step program implementation
- Key program considerations
- Common incident investigation/RCA program problems
- 10 laws of incident investigation
Ms. Julie Ott - General Manager, ABS Consulting
Mr. Lee Vanden Heuvel - Manager of Incident Investigation/Root Cause Analysis Services and Senior Risk/Reliability Engineer, ABS Consulting
- Human Error Prevention
- Maritime RCA/Incident Investigation
- Root Cause Analysis and Incident Investigation
- Root Cause Analysis Essentials
Quickly identify the root causes of any type of incident, event, accident, near miss, reliability problem, quality impact, or business loss using LEADER™ software.
- Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis
- We can teach this course at your office. Request onsite training.
- Download the SOURCE Investigator's Toolkit™, a sample report form, and Excel templates. Used in conjunction with our SOURCE methodology and our training course, these FREE tools will help you perform efficient and effective analyses.
- Purchase the Root Cause Analysis Handbook directly from our publisher.
- Root Cause Analysis For Beginners
- Getting to the Root of the Problem
- Increasing the Value of Instinct
- Fostering a Commitment to Improvements
- Increasing Support for Improvement
- Maintaining Change Over the Long Term
- Solutions That Make a Difference