CC: Root Cause Analysis, Incident Investigation and Human Error Prevention
Price includes combined course discount. Save 25% off the full price of $2,390 when you register three or more attendees. Team Discount cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions.
This is a combined course of:
- Root Cause Analysis and Incident Investigation
Learn to use the license-fee-free SOURCE™ root cause analysis (RCA) methodology for investigating incidents. This methodology will help you initiate a root cause analysis incident investigation, gather data for investigating all types of incidents, collect data through interviews and parts analyses, apply powerful techniques (timelines, cause and effect trees, Root Cause Map™, and 5-whys) for causal factor and root cause identification. Avoid future incidents by developing appropriate recommendations using our four-level recommendation development guidance to address each of the causal factors and root causes, structure reports for optimum effectiveness, develop your data-trending process to identify systemic problem areas, and more. You’ll walk away with your course notebook, a copy of our Root Cause Analysis Handbook, our Excel and Visio templates, and access to our on-line resources for you and your entire organization – no licensing fees to pay.
- Human Error Prevention
During this 2-day course, attendees learn how to examine and categorize specific human errors to identify the conditions and situations that contributed to mistakes. Attendees also discover why most human mistakes are caused by error-likely situations, which typically stem from weaknesses in the policies/practices that influence how organizations select, train, supervise, communicate with, and design workplaces for workers. You will learn how to apply several human performance assessment tools, including error-likely situation checklist analyses, walkthrough analyses, guideword analyses, risk-reward analyses, and ABC (antecedent-behavior-consequence) analysis. You will participant in several workshops so you will be able to apply these tools immediately. We will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each approach so you will know when and where to apply each of these approaches. Finally, we will talk about how to integrate these tools and approaches into equipment designs, incident investigations, management of change, and proactive analyses (e.g., PHAs, FMEAs).
1.2 CEUs, 1.2 COCs, 2.0 CMs, ABIH approval #10-238
DURATION: 5 days
|Start/End Dates||Location Information||Register|
|12 Mar - 16 Mar 2018||ABS Consulting | Knoxville, TN
|11 Jun - 15 Jun 2018||ABS Consulting | Knoxville, TN
|05 Nov - 09 Nov 2018||ABS Consulting | Knoxville, TN
|10 Dec - 14 Dec 2018||ABS Consulting | Las Vegas, NV
Day 1: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Basics of incidents and investigations
- Workshop: Identifying causal factors and root causes
- Analyzing data (causal factor charting)
- Workshop: Causal factor charting
Day 2: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Analyzing data (cause and effect tree analysis)
- Workshop: Using cause and effect tree analysis
- Analyzing data (change analysis)
- Determining root causes
- Workshop: Identifying root causes using the Root Cause Map technique
- Developing conclusions and recommendations
Day 3: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Completing the investigation
- Initiating the investigation
- Gathering people, physical, paper, and position data
- Overview of results trending
- Selecting problems for analysis
- Overview of developing and implementing an incident investigation program
- Workshop: Simulated incident investigation
- Using the RootCause LEADER™ software (optional)
- Certification examination (optional)
Day 4: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Goal of human error analysis
- Understanding human error and its influences
- What is human error?
- Human error categories
- Workshop: Categorizing human errors
- Simple model of human behavior
Day 5: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Analysis techniques
- Error-likely situation checklist analysis
- Walkthrough analysis
- Workshop: Applying the walkthrough analysis technique
- Guide word analysis
- Workshop: Applying the guide word analysis technique
- Prevention and mitigation strategies
- Common human error prevention techniques
- Organizational responsibilities for human error prevention and mitigation
- Overview of human factors codes and standards
- Workshop: Developing effective recommendations
Mr. Lee Vanden Heuvel - Manager of Incident Investigation/Root Cause Analysis Services and Senior Risk/Reliability Engineer, ABS Consulting
Mr. James Rooney - Director of Training Services - Safety, Risk & Compliance, ABS Consulting
Mr. Donald Lorenzo - Senior Technical Director of Onsite Training, ABS Consulting
- This course is part of ABS Consulting's Advanced Root Cause Analyst/Incident Investigator certification program.
- Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis
- We can teach this course at your office. Request onsite training.
- Purchase the Root Cause Analysis Handbook directly from our publisher.
- Root Cause Analysis For Beginners
- Getting to the Root of the Problem
- Increasing the Value of Instinct
- Fostering a Commitment to Improvements
- Increasing Support for Improvement
- Maintaining Change Over the Long Term
- Solutions That Make a Difference