Natural Hazards Risk Management
ABS Group is a global provider of risk and safety solutions related to natural hazards, with a broad range of services across many markets. Our engineers have decades of global experience performing risk and damage assessments, seismic and extreme wind design for new and existing structures and equipment installations. Additionally, our team provides design reviews and financial loss evaluations for seismic, hurricane/typhoon, flood and other severe hazards.
Services that Prepare You for the Catastrophic
Facilities and Infrastructure
We are known for our expertise in evaluating natural hazard risks for a wide variety of facilities worldwide. Information generated from our risk assessment is used by our engineers to assist clients in developing long-term risk reduction strategies. These strategies may involve upgrading and rehabilitating existing buildings, structures and equipment installations or providing technical expertise and peer review services for projects developed by other consultants.
We provide comprehensive Advanced Engineering services for facilities and infrastructure projects.
- Seismic and Extreme Wind Retrofit of Structures
- Performance Based Multi-Hazard Design of Facilities
- Structural Engineering, Plan Checking and Review of Unique and Critical Structures
- Design of Seismic Restraints for Equipment and Utility Systems
- Structural Investigation, Condition Assessment and Repair Development
- Life-Line Reliability and Vulnerability Analysis
- Independent Technical Assessment, Peer Reviews and Constructability Reviews
- Construction Management and Compliance Services
- Construction Cost Estimates
Our Advanced Engineering division offers a unique blend of catastrophe modeling and structural engineering expertise, which can determine appropriate levels of catastrophe risk insurance and the most cost-effective means of mitigating or managing risk. We have more than 30 years of on-site experience in risk assessment and mitigation analyses for virtually every kind of facility, from multifamily and commercial buildings to complex chemical, petrochemical, manufacturing, utility, energy and transmission and distribution operations. This includes both pre- and post-loss activities for a wide variety of natural and man-made hazard events including earthquake, hurricane/typhoon, flood and tsunami occurrences.
Our experience allows us to assist property owners, plant/facility operators, real estate companies, insurers and reinsurers, and brokers to accurately quantify exposure and to develop methods for estimating and reducing aggregate exposures to natural hazards on a site-specific or portfolio basis. We provide a variety of natural hazard engineering services to our clients including due-diligence reports, performance based assessments and ASTM E2026-07 analyses.
We offer a range of financial risk services to assist clients in planning and estimating projects, including:
- Probable Maximum Loss (PML) Analysis
- Portfolio Loss Assessment (Multiple Sites)
- Business Interruption Assessment and Continuity Planning
- Catastrophe Management Loss and Damage Modeling
- Property Acquisition Due Diligence Studies
- Grant Applications
ABS Group works closely with our clients to understand not only their operations, but their capabilities to respond to damaging natural hazard events. Our engineers evaluate existing buildings as candidate shelters, and when necessary, develop structural solutions in accordance with sheltering criteria such as ICC 500 and FEMA P-361. Our Advanced Engineering division also offers training to help our clients protect their people and to quickly start the recovery process to resume normal operations.
We conduct a variety of evaluations and assessments to reduce risk and promote business continuity in the event of a natural hazard event.
- Emergency Preparedness and Business Recovery Planning
- Post Event Damage and Integrity Assessments
- Evaluation/Strengthening of Emergency Shelters
- Disaster and Evacuation Planning
- Training and Exercises
ABS Group has extensive knowledge of building codes, state-of-the-art design tools and evaluation methodologies, and in-depth experience conducting investigations around the world to help you manage natural hazards risk.
ABS Group has had an enormous impact in this area. Our safety, risk and compliance experts have written industry-leading guidelines, performed hundreds of investigations and trained thousands of individuals on how to handle these efforts. We offer, among others:
- Comprehensive incident response services
- Root cause analysis (RCA) training
- RCA software solutions
- Investigation-related support for legal professionals
Industry-wide guidelines for Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) were established by ABS Global experts. We’ve also played a critical role in EPA and OSHA rule-making processes. We can provide expert advice on a range of issues including:
- PHA program assessment/development/upgrades
- Hazard evaluations
- Combining evaluation procedures
- Hazard reviews for MOC and PHA re-validations