Vice President, Global Oil, Gas
Steve Arendt is Vice President of the Global Oil, Gas and Chemical division at ABS Group. In this role, Arendt creates safety, risk, asset reliability, and integrity management solutions to help meet upstream, midstream, and downstream energy, chemical, and related process industry client regulatory requirements and performance needs.
Join Steve at API's 3rd International Safety Culture Summit on Thursday, June 6 in Chicago, Illinois, as he presents on Ensuring the Quality and Benefits from a Culture Assessment.
Arendt has more than four decades of leadership in process safety management (PSM), risk management and incident investigations for both the onshore and offshore market sectors, including the following contributions:
- Awarded the Norton H. Walton/Russell L. Miller Award for Outstanding Achievements in Safety and Loss Prevention at the 2019 Spring Meeting and 15th Global Congress on Process Safety (GCPS)
- Served on many process safety committees for several groups: AIChE, Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS), ACC/CMA, American Petroleum Institute and Center for Offshore Safety
- Authored more than 80 articles, guides and books on process safety and risk management topics, including CCPS's Guidelines for Risk Based Process Safety
- Worked alongside industry, labor, government and stakeholder groups in the development of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) PSM regulation and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Risk Management Plan (RMP) Rule, including leading national PSM/RMP roll-out workshops and communication of RMP worst-case scenarios to the public in the Kanawha Valley of West Virginia and in the East Harris County of Houston, Texas
- Led technical reviews for the BP Baker Panel evaluation of PSM effectiveness, process safety culture and corporate oversight of BP's five U.S. refineries
- Led over 40 projects evaluating process safety culture for oil and gas, chemical, pharmaceutical and consumer product companies, providing culture and leadership training to more than 70 CEOs, senior executives and Board members.
- Awarded the 2006 Merit Award from the Mary Kay O'Connor Process Safety Center
- Named a CCPS Fellow, honoring his many years and contributions to process safety and willingness to share expertise in the promotion of process safety
Arendt is a registered Professional Engineer in the state of Tennessee and holds a Masters in Engineering from the University of Tennessee.