Advanced Techniques for Risk Management Using Bowties
Save 10% on public training courses scheduled through December 31, 2020. This discount cannot be combined with any other offer(s). See also 15% Team Discount.
This is a follow-on course to the 2-day BowTie course with the extra day being used for further in-depth reviews of bowties and the concepts around how barriers may degrade and the safeguards that may be put in place to prevent this happening and how best to demonstrate human factors within bowties. The course also covers the concepts of Tolerability of risk and methods of demonstrating ALARP (that the risks have been reduced to As Low As Reasonably Practicable). This may typically be done by using LOPA, either in stand-alone estimates or using the LOPA Management toll built in to ABS Group's THESIS BowTie™ risk management software.
Who Should Attend this course?
- Personnel who have at least 5 years of experience and are familiar with safety/risk concepts
- Participants are usually engineers, inspectors, and risk and safety personnel
what will i learn in this course?
- Fundamentals of the Bowtie Methodology
- How to correctly apply Bowties in managing risks
Duration: 3 Days
No courses scheduled at this time. Please view our course calendar for other relevant courses.
Day 1: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Introduction to Risk and the concept of barriers in major accidents
- What is the Bowtie Concept?
- Construction of Bowties from Identified Major Accident Hazard Scenarios
- How to identify threats and estimate consequences
- Identification of independent and valid barriers
Day 2: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Identification of safety Critical Elements (SCEs)
- Barrier effectiveness evaluation and linking them to Process Safety Performance Indicators (PSPIs) and the HSE Management System
- HAZOPs to BowTies
- Introduction to LOPA within THESIS linking key threat/consequence pairs
- Practical sessions using THESIS BowTie™
Day 3: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Tolerability and ALARP
- Demonstrating ALARP via a LOPA plus a cost-benefit analysis
- Further practical sessions using THESIS BowTie™
Dr. Mark Manton - Principal Engineer, ABS Consulting