Human Factors Engineering
Our Human Factors Engineering (HFE) Group provides comprehensive HFE support in asset-intensive industries to eliminate or mitigate hazards, failures and financial losses from human error.
ABS Group maintains a staff of dedicated, multidisciplinary human factors subject matter experts to conduct analyses, simulations, training and forensic investigations involving HFE issues. Our HFE consulting and support services help clients understand the criticality of this discipline, especially those in process organizations with large consequential failure potential.
Understanding the Human Element
Human error is a contributing factor in most accidents and catastrophic events, often with large public and environmental consequences. By incorporating HFE into the design or redesign of a complex system, asset owners can dramatically reduce the existence of error to improve the safety, operability, maintainability
HFE uses a multidisciplinary approach to the design and optimization of complex systems found in the Aerospace, Power, Oil, Gas
ABS Group uses methodologies ranging in discipline from cognitive psychology, biomechanics, human performance and organizational behavior to industrial engineering and ergonomics to identify and correct errors resulting from human factors. Fully integrating the human element into facility design and system operation is part of a robust risk management strategy to reduce operational and life-cycle costs as well as prevent loss.
Our team has the HFE experience and expertise to provide quantitative and qualitative cognitive, ergonomic and reliability analyses to eliminate error provocative systems and mitigate the effects of human error.
Applying Human Factors Engineering Principles
We advance human-centered design and the optimization of complex system operations through the application of HFE principles to human-machine-environmental interfacing; integration of human physical and cognitive performance limitations; complex systems analysis and simulation for resilience, adaptation and failure; human-automation interaction and bias; personnel selection, readiness and training; organizational culture; and other HFE methodologies that eliminate or reduce the probability and consequence of human error.
Human Factors Engineering Services
- Human Factors Analysis (HFA)
- Human Reliability Analysis (HRA)
- Situational Awareness (SA) Studies
- Human Performance, Perception and Cognition Studies
- Human-machine Interfacing and Integration Design
- Control Room Design, Task, Function and Link Analyses
- Automation and Operator Alerting Systems Design
- Ergonomics, Functionality and Usability Studies
- Escape, Evacuation and Rescue Analysis (EERA)
- Crashworthiness and Survivability Factors
- Safety in Design Incorporating Human Factors
- Valve and Instrument Criticality Analysis
- Material Handling Studies
- Complex System Procedural Task Analysis
- Crew and Team Resource Management
- Human Error Prevention Strategies
- Health, Safety
andEnvironment (HSE) Systems
- Mishap Investigation and Reconstruction
- Advanced Engineering Studies
Industries We Serve
- Petrochemical Process Industries
- Onshore Oil and Gas and Offshore Exploration and Production
- Marine and Dynamic Positioning Operations
- Aviation and Aerospace Operations and Maintenance
- Nuclear Power Generation
- Electrical Power Generation
- Wind Power Generation
- Maritime, Rail and Heavy Transportation
- Heavy Equipment Manufacturing
- Medical and Healthcare Delivery
Critical Incident Response
The HFE Group supports ABS Group's critical incident response to catastrophic events for Incident Investigation and Root Cause Analysis (RCA). For more information, visit our Incident Investigation and RCA page.