Director of Training Services; ABS Consulting
James J. Rooney, PMP, is the Director of Training Services for ABS Consulting’s Safety, Risk, and Compliance (SRC) Division. He has 35 years of experience in quality, lean six sigma, reliability engineering, risk assessment, incident investigation and process safety management. This includes the application of techniques such as fault tree analysis, failure modes and effects analysis, root cause analysis and hazard and operability analysis. Rooney received a B.S. in chemical engineering from the University of Virginia in 1975, an M.E. in nuclear engineering from the University of Tennessee in 1978 and an M.B.A. in management/operations research from the University of Tennessee in 1983.
Since helping start JBF Associates in 1977 (acquired by ABS Group in 1998), Rooney has performed numerous risk and reliability analyses on nuclear, chemical and petroleum systems. A Fellow of the American Society for Quality (ASQ), Rooney sits on the editorial review board of ASQ's Quality Progress magazine and served as the Chair of ASQ's Board of Directors in 2011 - 2012. He has published numerous papers on risk assessment and reliability engineering methods and was a guest editor of the IEEE Transactions on Reliability special issue on chemical process safety. Mr. Rooney holds 10 ASQ certifications:
- Certified Biomedical Auditor (CBA)
- Certified Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points Auditor (CHA)
- Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE)
- Certified Quality Auditor (CQA)
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE)
- Certified Quality Process Analyst (CPQA)
- Certified Quality Technician (CQT)
- Certified Quality Improvement Associate (CQIA)
- Certified Reliability Engineer (CRE), and
- Certified Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSB)
Mr. Rooney teaches several different courses for the training division of ABS Consulting, including courses on lean six sigma, qualitative and quantitative hazard/reliability analysis, management system development/auditing and incident investigation/root cause analysis. He also teaches courses in nuclear safety analysis for the Department of Energy's National Training Center.