Natural Hazards Risk Management
Facility Startup and Readiness Support
In the aftermath of natural disaster events such as hurricanes and flash floods, which can result in operators shutting in facilities and taking assets offline, it is important to be extra vigilant in adhering to process safety principles when restarting oil, gas and chemical facility systems.
To help ensure a safe and efficient return to normal operations, ABS Group provides a broad range of technical and risk management services during this critical phase of recovery/pre-startup operations, including:
Mini-Hazard/Operational Readiness Reviews
We can customize reviews that focus on potential flood and/or wind damage. Our team will work closely with your facility managers to identify site-specific potential hazards and address topics such as:
- Floodwater leakage into equipment
- Electrical grounding integrity
- Foundation washout/damage
- Building damage/integrity
- Drainage obstruction/washout
- Utilities damage, including backup systems/batteries/etc.
- Insulation damage/water intrusion
- Safety system damage/integrity
- Equipment/piping displacement or impact damage
- Electrical/instrumentation/control system water intrusion/damage
Pre-Startup Review (PSSR) Checklist Preparation and Implementation
We can help develop and incorporate additional topics/questions focused on verifying the integrity of plant/facility equipment and support/utility systems based on potential water and/or wind damage that may have occurred during and after a natural disaster. The pre-startup reviews help confirm:
- Repaired equipment/systems are in accordance with design specifications
- Safety, operating, maintenance and emergency procedures (especially focused on startup) are in place and adequate
- Recommendations from any mini-hazard analyses or readiness reviews have been resolved or implemented before startup
- Modifications (if any) since the shutdown have been reviewed under management of change (MOC) program, and any recommendations from those reviews have been resolved
- Appropriate training regarding modifications/repairs has been completed
- Quality assurance/quality control documents and records of inspections have been performed
- Additional information pertinent to the startup and operation of the idle system is verified
- Organizational change reviews occur while the degraded process safety support infrastructure conditions exist
Staff Augmentation Services
ABS Group can provide highly experienced personnel to provide extra staffing/temporary resources that can be required during pre-startup recovery and normal startup operations. These personnel can provide a wide range of onsite services (including either short-term or long-term support) to help clients achieve various time-critical tasks to safely and expeditiously return to normal operations.
We offer a unique blend of catastrophe modeling and structural engineering expertise, which can determine appropriate levels of catastrophe risk insurance and the most cost-effective means of mitigating or managing risk.
This includes both pre- and post-loss activities for a wide variety of natural and man-made hazard events including earthquake, hurricane/typhoon, flood and tsunami occurrences.
Our experience allows us to assist property owners, plant/facility operators, real estate companies, insurers and reinsurers, and brokers to accurately quantify exposure and to develop methods for estimating and reducing aggregate exposures to natural hazards on a site-specific or portfolio basis. We provide a variety of natural hazard engineering services to our clients including due-diligence reports, performance based assessments and ASTM E2026-07 analyses.
Extreme Loads and Structural Risk Capabilities
We offer a range of financial risk services to assist clients in planning and estimating projects, including:
- Probable Maximum Loss (PML) Analysis
- Portfolio Loss Assessment (Multiple Sites)
- Business Interruption Assessment and Continuity Planning
- Catastrophe Management Loss and Damage Modeling
- Property Acquisition Due Diligence Studies
- Grant Applications
ABS Group has had an enormous impact in this area. Our safety, risk and compliance experts have written industry-leading guidelines, performed hundreds of investigations and trained thousands of individuals on how to handle these efforts. We offer, among others:
- Comprehensive incident response services
- Root cause analysis (RCA) training
- RCA software solutions
- Investigation-related support for legal professionals
Industry-wide guidelines for Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) were established by ABS Global experts. We’ve also played a critical role in EPA and OSHA rule-making processes. We can provide expert advice on a range of issues including:
- PHA program assessment/development/upgrades
- Hazard evaluations
- Combining evaluation procedures
- Hazard reviews for MOC and PHA re-validations